About Me

My photo
A strategist, an entrepreneur, a curious soul, a creative spirit with keen interest in energy, green initiatives, technology and photography.

Friday, May 18, 2007

Dubai with its luster did not attract me. Cairo with its grime did not deter me.

The last few weeks have been demanding in terms of travel where I had to tour the region on various assignments. Among these travels two destinations stood out and kept a lasting impression in my memory due to their contrast and the effect the created; Dubai and Cairo.


Dubai as all may know is the perhaps the busiest city with the most activity in construction, growth and attraction of people from all over the world. Clean organized streets, elegant shopping malls, restaurants satisfying every taste, tall glassy skyscrapers , and shiny people wearing brands and driving latest car models. This should be an ideal place for anyone seeking happiness and success, shouldn’t be? Well, possibly, but not for a few people, with me among them. Many are surprised at my reaction towards Dubai. This is where the action is; shouldn’t everyone seek their fortune there?
From a professional standpoint, Dubai does offer tremendous opportunity. However, what I personally did not find there is a hidden element of “belonging” or of a “community”, which I consider important. I cannot really place my hand on that element. It is something in the air, in the surroundings, and in the souls of people. I wish I can be more accurate in articulating that.

On the other hand …

Cairo is perhaps the largest city in the Middle East and one of the largest cities in the world in terms of population, number 14 to be exact with around 8million inhabitants (which many doubt as a modest estimation). Cairo is second to Mumbai in terms of density! Check the statistics on Wikipedia.
Cairo’s streets are crowded night and day. A simple and seemingly short route can take an unidentified period of time. I had a training to conduct just 20km outside Cairo. That used to take me an hour each way to reach. We never were able to start at time. Usually an hour or so after the designated time! People, no matter, how early the plan to head out would have an incident that prevent them from being on time. Buildings are old, most cars are falling apart, and places are not that fancy (compared to Dubai or other cities I’m used to).
Yet, I was not repelled and felt a sense of community and a “real” place! I sit at rather “public” cafĂ© on 26th July street in Zamalek that is around 3 meters wide, with patrons rubbing shoulders while they drink their tea, hibiscus or draw smoke from their shisha (of course!) – I feel at place! You could be sitting with a building guard or a famous lawyer and not feel a difference. They all share the place and seem to enjoy their time despite their own issues. You can easily approach anyone and just talk about anything and sooner or later there will be a simple joke or laughter.
I am not saying that we need to avoid Dubai (or other similar cities), nor embrace Cairo (or other similar cities), but seek the place that we personally feel we blong to and can find our happiness there.
My question to myself is what creates that sense? What makes someone feel a belonging to a place or not?

3 comments:

SHAMLANKM said...

Salam Eyas,

I definitely agree with you. I have been a frequent flyer to Dubai for two years averaging 1 day per week. I have been socializing with people who live thier. What most of the people reflect is the rush, less family, less friends and socialization, lost identity. You can see it in the eyes with black circle who spend most of the time in office or on the road.

However, I can bit this is normal culture shock that require a generation or two till things are settled.

I have seen another place which has gone through the same experience and settlement happened in the 2nd generation.

Dubai government, however, need to pay attention to the social part and do some good plans, as they do in the business and real estate, to contain this issue till normalization take place.

Today, Dubai is not my preferred destination but I can foresee that it will be; sometime later, for me or for my son!

Bashar said...

I really like this post; I guess there are some advantages and disadvantages everywhere. and as for the Belonging part, in my humble opinion, I think it is so much related to the social and professional factors, and most importantly the success factor BUT all that could change dramatically as we endeavor some exciting experiences, some are good, some aren’t.

As for Happiness, I truly believe it is about achieving whatever ones want to achieve, and that could be anywhere, relating that to belonging, I would rather say I belong to myself

Contradictory but could be true !

Anonymous said...

Yes, all is logical