About Me

My photo
A strategist, an entrepreneur, a curious soul, a creative spirit with keen interest in energy, green initiatives, technology and photography.

Friday, January 5, 2007

Bitter Sweet Symphony. Truth in the name and the bitter world of IP

The first time I have ever this song, it immediately captured something inside of me. I sensed there is an emotional charge in it. Whenever I hear it, I could easily picture the flow of the music as soft waves hitting the shore, while lyrics seem to be lightly detached from it like a breeze above these waves. Words and tunes could easily separate yet seem to interwined in a strangely lovely way.

However, my objective of sharing thoughts about the song is not purely artistic. Performing some research revealed to me furhter information about this song in specific and the music industry in general. Here is what I found on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bittersweet_Symphony)
“Although the song’s lyrics were written entirely by Verve vocalist, Richard Ashcroft, it has been credited to Keith Richards and Mick Jagger because the song uses the Andrew Oldham Orchestra recording of The Rolling Stones‘ 1965 song “The Last Time” as its foundation. “
Here is the “original” one. I leave it for the readers, or listeners for that matter to decide for themselves how closely they are. In all cases, it does not matter as it was legally settled :)

Back to wikipedia, here is what happened:
“Originally, The Verve had negotiated a license to use a sample from the Oldham recording; but it was successfully argued that the Verve had used ‘too much’ of the sample.“
I would like to imaging court hearings and special expertise that are brought-in to determine the “closeness” of that sample. If you ask me, I simply think that it was all about the strength about the legal representation more than anything else.
“Though only some of “Bitter Sweet Symphony”’s music and not a single line or phrase of the lyrics were contained in the original, it led to a lawsuit with ABKCO Records, Allen Klein’s company, which owns the rights to the Rolling Stones material of the 60s. The matter was eventually settled out of court, with copyright of the song reverting to ABKCO and songwriting credits to Jagger and Richards.”
So, now everytime, Mr. Ashcroft sings or sells this song, Mick Jagger gets a cut! As Ashcroft himself expressed in reaction to some of his fans, “Don’t boo, man. As long as I can play this song I’m happy to pay a few of those guys’ bills.”
The world of music and intellectual property is a very complex and matters are not in black and white. Authors, artists, software engineers and entrepreneurs need to be very careful about their creations and how “similar” they could be to original works. Extensive research is highly recommended, as well as the use of specialized expertise. The earlier that is performed in the beginning, the better.
Now, do you think the name of the song is purely coincidental?

No comments: